All about us
J and C Warburton Funeral Service were established in 1947 by two brothers, Jack and Cyril Warburton.
The business initially began as a joinery workshop while funerals were arranged on the side using coffins they made themselves. Their workshop was on Inchfield Road in Walsden and was run by the pair until Jack passed away, leaving Cyril to run the business until his retirement.
In 1994, J and C Warburton moved from Inchfield Road to its present location on the corner of Broadstone Street and Cross Stone Road in Todmorden. Known locally as “Priestwell”, the building we now occupy has a history all of its own. The building began as a joiner’s shop, where well known local businessman Colin Greenwood started his career.
The hall had a large wooden stage complete with lighting and theatrical curtains.
“Every Christmas J and C Warbuton held pantomimes which many locals remember taking part in or being a part of the audience.”
In the 1980’s, the large Cross Stone Church at the top of the hill closed down due to dwindling congregations and they moved down to Priestwell, integrating many of the original features from Cross Stone Church into the current building. It was then known as St Paul’s Church, Priestwell, and the Anglican Church for the parish of Cross Stone.
In later years, St Paul’s Church was forced to close due to low attendances. The building was then sold and became as it is today, J and C Warburton Funeral Service.
J and C Warburton is currently managed by Peter Kelly, who started his career in the funeral services after finishing school in 1985. Peter, along with Funeral Director Suzanne Fowler and their colleagues, are determined to provide the highest level of service to families in their time of need.